Position Type: Special Service Provider
Date Posted: 4/14/2021
Location: Vista Charter School with potential for remote work and a flexible schedule for the right candidate
Date Available: 08/1/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Responsible for supporting students in the areas of academic success, career and college readiness, and post-secondary readiness, while serving as a resource for students, families, staff, and community; and delivering services within the framework of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) as associated with career & post-secondary readiness. The guidance counselor will primarily focus on the individual, career, and academic planning with highly impacted high school students that are over-age and under-credit. While a background in mental health awareness and social-emotional development of at-risk high schools will support success in this role, this counselor will not be directly linked to providing such services at Vista Charter School.
- Draw on the ASCA school counseling model to help carve out the focus of this role as the ICAP and Post Secondary Readiness Counselor
- Individual and small group career counseling services that support academic
success and post-secondary readiness.
- Including individualized credit tracking and graduation planning for all
- Deliver classroom guidance lesson centered on the Vista ICAP College and Career-Readiness Standards for Every Student
- Support related to the development of business partnerships, vocational schools, and colleges.
- Work with the school principal to schedule students in classes for six annual academic cycles
- Appropriately refer student mental health & SEL needs to Vista’s Mental Health Team or appropriate professionals or agencies.
- Support student transitional activities necessary for their postsecondary next steps
- Assist ALL Vista students and families with educational and/or career planning
- Understand and use current job-related technology
- Collaborate using a data dialogue approach & system
- All Vista students regarding their academic progress toward graduation
- With administrators, parents/guardians, staff, and community partners regarding student needs and concerns
- Demonstrate a commitment to:
- Understand, appreciate, and make accommodations for student diversity.
- Include and engage families in students’ education
- Support all Vista Charter School policies, procedures, and expectations.
- Provide personal and professional excellence
- Participate in:
- Systematic Data Dialogue Cycles as outlined for six, six-week academic cycles
- Department, team, building, and district meetings and discussions
- Student and/or family conferences and other meetings
- Social, cultural, interscholastic, and extracurricular activities
- Professional growth opportunities
- Perform other duties as assigned
Desired Attributes & Qualifications:
- Strong team orientation
- Positive and direct communication skills
- Meticulous record tracking skills
- Strong organization and ability to thrive in an environment that must manage many projects at once
- Student-first perception of working with students with at-risk students
- Strong proficiency and excitement for use of technology and innovative, research-based educational modalities.
- Work through a trauma-informed approach
- Ability to navigate conflict positively and productively
- Innovative and creative thinker willing to think outside the box
- Familiarity with the Pathways to Prosperity Network
- Experience with motivational interviewing
- Experience working with Colorado’s ICAP structures
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in School Counseling required with teaching certification and experience strongly desired
- Experience working with at-risk students required
- Experience with career and post-secondary counseling required
Compensation Range: Based on years of experience and education as outlined by Vista Charter School’s Certified Salary Schedule
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 hours per week with flexible schedule option for the right candidate
Hours Per Day: 7.5 with a remote option for the right candidate
Number of Days per Year: 178