Position Type: Teaching – High School/Special Education
Date Posted: 5/9/2022
Location: Vista Charter School with potential for remote work and a flexible schedule for the right candidate
Date Available: 08/1/2022
Closing Date: Until Filled
Interested applicants should apply online through mcsd.org or directly through Vista Charter school at vistacharter.org. Applicants can direct questions to Emily MacNiven at email@example.com
Work with Vista Special Education Team to write & manage all IEP paperwork, federal and local special education requirements. This position is not associated with direct service instructional minutes provided to students but rather is the case manager for all of the associated special education paperwork.
- This position classification requires subject matter expertise commonly associated with special education teaching and instruction knowledge and skills though no direct service minutes will be associated with this role.
- The position classification performs decision analysis and in conjunction with Vista’s Special Education Team, makes decisions of considerable consequence, in determining how best to instruct pupils as they are reflected and documented on students’ IEPs.
- The functional role of this position classification requires the application and interpretation of data, facts, procedures, and policies. The incumbent meets frequently with school administrators, teachers, internal staff, and members of the community to communicate information, data, and alternative problem solutions.
- This a sedentary position classification and performs light work that involves being sedentary a good portion of the time, but does require moving for extended periods.
- This position requires accurate perceiving of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, handling and working with materials and objects, and providing oral information.
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
Example of Duties
- Review, analyze, and evaluate the history, background, and assessment of pupils in designing an educational program to meet individual educational needs.
- In conjunction with Vista’s Special Education Team, work to individualize the instructional processes and program activities to enhance pupil educational opportunities as they are reflected directly on students’ individual educational plans.
- Work with the Vista Special Education Team to review, analyze, and evaluate pupil academic and social growth.
- Record and report appropriate analyses and perceptions of pupil progress.
- Work with Vista Special Education Team to administer, score, and record the results of criterion-referenced, group standardized, and specialized tests in evaluating pupil growth and progress.
- Coordinate IEP team meetings with Vista Special Education Team, students, families, and other student support specialist district employees
- Strong team orientation.
- Positive and direct communication skills.
- Strong organization and ability to thrive in an environment that must manage many projects at once.
- Student-first perception of working with students with disabilities.
- Strong proficiency and excitement for use of technology and innovative, research-based educational modalities.
- Ability to navigate conflict positively and productively.
- Innovative and creative thinker willing to think outside the box when working with Vista Special Education Team while also maintaining compliance.
- Three to five years managing federal, state, and local compliance with individual education plans as a special education teacher.
- Knowledge of: Principles, theories, methods, techniques, and strategies pertaining to teaching and instruction of special needs pupils.
- Familiarity with behavior characteristics of at-risk students experiencing educational and social dysfunctions.
- Educational curriculum and instructional goals and objectives, and the educational trends and research findings pertaining to the special needs child.
- Effectively assist in the assessment of the educational needs of educational special needs pupils, and the design, development, and implementation of individualized educational plans;
Experience & Education
- Three to five years experience in a special education teaching role with responsibility for IEP management.
- Masters degree in Education with emphasis in special education.
- Possession of licensure from the Colorado Department of Education authorizing service as a teacher of special needs pupils.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Compensation Range: Based on years of experience and education as outlined by Vista’s Certified Salary Schedule
Scheduled Weekly Hours: Up to 20 hours per week
Hours per Day: Ability to flexibly set schedules based on team meetings and IEP meetings, with the ability to work from home for the right candidate.
Number of Days per Year: 178