Position Type: Special Service Provider
Date Posted: 5/9/2022
Location: Vista Charter School
Date Available: 08/1/2022
Closing Date: Until Filled
Responsible for supporting students in the areas of academic success, career and college readiness, and social/emotional development; serving as a resource for students, families, staff, and community; and delivering services within the framework of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA). The guidance counselor will primarily focus on individual, career, and academic planning with highly impacted high school students that are over-age and under-credit. While a background in mental health awareness and social-emotional development of at-risk high schools is imperative, this role will not be directly related to providing those services at Vista Charter School.
- Draw on the ASCA school counseling model to help carve out the focus of this role as the ICAP and Post Secondary Readiness Counselor in conjunction with Vista Mental Health Counseling Team.
- Individual and small group career counseling services that support academic, and social/emotional development.
- Including individualized credit tracking and graduation planning for all Vista students
- Classroom guidance lesson centered on the Vista ICAP College and Career-Readiness Standards for every student
- Support related to working with business partnerships, vocational schools, and colleges
- Work with the school Principal to schedule students in classes for six, six-week academic cycles.
- Refer to mental health & SEL needs to Vista’s Mental Health Team or appropriate professionals or agencies.
- Support student transitional activities including transitioning into their postsecondary next steps
- Assist ALL Vista students and families with educational and/or career planning.
- Understand and use current job-related technology.
- Using a Data Dialogue Approach & System Collaborate:
- With administrators, parents/guardians, staff, and community partners regarding student needs and concerns.
- With administrators, parents/guardians, staff, and students to develop and implement academic and/or behavior plans and interventions.
- Demonstrate a commitment to:
- Understand, appreciate, and make accommodations for student diversity.
- Include and engage families in the student’s education.
- Support all Vista Charter School policies, procedures, and expectations.
- Provide personal and professional excellence.
- Participate in:
- Systematic Data Dialogue Cycles as outlined for six, six-week academic cycles.
- Department, team, building, and district meetings and discussions.
- Student and/or family conferences and other meetings.
- Social, cultural, interscholastic, and extracurricular activities.
- Professional growth opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong team orientation.
- Positive and direct communication skills.
- Meticulous record tracking skills.
- Strong organization and ability to thrive in an environment that must manage many projects at once.
- Student-first perception of working with at-risk students.
- Strong proficiency and excitement for use of technology and innovative, research-based educational modalities.
- Works through a trauma-informed approach.
- Ability to navigate conflict positively and productively.
- Innovative and creative thinker willing to think outside the box when working with Vista Special Education Team while also maintaining compliance.
- Familiarity with the Pathways to Prosperity work.
- Experience with motivational interviewing.
- Experience working with Colorado’s ICAP structures..
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in School Counseling required with teaching certification and experience strongly desired.
- Experience working with at-risk students required.
- Experience with career and post secondary counseling required.
Compensation Range: Based on years of experience and education as outlined by Vista’s Certified Salary Schedule.
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 hours per week with a flexible schedule option for the right candidate.
Hours per Day: 7.5 with some afternoon remote flexibility for the right candidate.
Number of Days per Year: 178