Position Type: Administrative
Date Posted: 5/9/22
Location: Vista Charter School
Position Start Date: July 1, 2022
Reports To: Executive Director
Relevant Salary Schedule: High School Assistant Principal Salary Schedule $70K-$90K depending on education and experience
Staff Agreement Days: 202 Days
This position will require an innovative leader who can navigate shared time in prioritizing the Director of Instruction tasks with equal priority to the tasks of the Director of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS). This position is based full-time on site at Vista Charter School.
As the Director of Instruction, you will direct and manage all operations of Vista’s competency-based curriculum and instructional practices, including overseeing and improving instructional alignment with Vista’s cross-competency pathways model. You will provide instructional coaching, leadership and professional development, with a specific focus on developing alternative licensure teachers and supporting Vista’s career pathway teachers.
As the Director of Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS), you will lead and oversee the development of a school-wide MTSS program that supports the whole student. You will be responsible for collaborating closely with all Vista staff, families, and students to establish and implement a tiered framework that uses data to meet the needs of each and every student through academics, behavior, and social-emotional learning (SEL) interventions. You will provide guidance to the Executive Director and school leadership teams to ensure that research-based MTSS strategies, interventions, and systems are in place to support student achievement.
- Master’s Degree in Education with active Colorado School Principal License
- Three (3) years experience classroom teaching required, alternative school teaching experience strongly preferred
- Administrative experience at campus level strongly preferred
- Experience in instructional leadership & coaching strongly preferred
- Demonstrated competency in systemic leadership and instructional coaching.
- Strong knowledge of curriculum development and alignment specifically pertaining to competency-based educational models with a focus on career and post secondary readiness.
- Knowledge of the MTSS framework, positive behavior interventions and supports (PBIS), response to intervention (RTI), social-emotional learning (SEL), restorative practices, trauma-informed practices, and family engagement.
- Ability to manage complex projects.
- Ability to facilitate change management within individuals, teams, and organizations, including implementing professional learning for adult learners and staff development.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collect and analyze data to drive improvement.
- Commitment to working with students from marginalized communities through an asset-based mindset and approach.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Systematically and continuously monitors instructional and managerial processes to ensure that program activities are related to program outcomes; uses these findings for corrective action and improvement, as well as for recognition of success.
- Ensures that curriculum development and implementation are continuous and responsive to student needs.
- Provides instructional coaching and professional development support for staff, specifically alternative licensure teachers.
- Leads and monitors a school-wide MTSS implementation plan aligned to Vista’s vision for MTSS.
- Implements and leads the MTSS Committee that includes representation from school leadership teams and other key stakeholders.
- Based on needs assessment, oversees the development of Tier 1, 2, and 3 intervention protocols, problem-solving processes, data-based decision-making, progress monitoring, and communication and collaboration processes among Student Support Teams.
- Identifies and implements school-wide universal screening for academics, social-emotional learning, and behavior.
- Develops training programs and provides ongoing coaching for leadership teams, staff, and teachers on the MTSS framework and research-based practices for tiered intervention.
- Implements an MTSS intervention management system and partners with school staff to ensure effective data collection, data analysis, and program evaluation and efficacy.
- Partners with community organizations, government agencies, out-of-school programs, and families to ensure availability of resources for students.
- Identifies, analyzes, and applies findings (e.g., effective school research correlates) to facilitate school improvement planning.
- Leads a collaborative process to develop district performance objectives to include the Academic Excellence Indicators involving staff, parents, and community members.
School Culture Leadership:
- Fosters collegiality and team building among staff, encouraging their active involvement in decision-making and accountability for school success.
- Mediates and facilitates effective resolution of conflicts in a timely fashion.
- Communicates and promotes high expectation levels for staff and student performance in an enabling, supportive way, by providing recognition for excellence and achievement.
- Determines and builds a common vision with staff for school improvements.
- Directs planning activities and implements programs collaboratively with staff to ensure attainment of the school’s mission.
- Effectively conducts conferences and research-based intervention strategies with parents, students, and teachers concerning academic issues, conveying problem areas as well as positive aspects of student behavior.
- Develops and implements a school-wide PBIS system as a component of the school-wide MTSS model to include a focus on student affiliation and recognition.
Please upload a resume and thorough cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity using the form below.
Application deadline: May 20th
Vista Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. Recruiting staff to create an inclusive organization is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds. Candidates are evaluated solely on their qualifications to perform the work required.